Ms Shaveta Arora
The NorthCap University, Gurgaon
Experience, live and enjoy your student life by overcoming ‘stress’ and be successful.
Stressful situations usually occur when we constantly think about a bad past experience or about a possible threat in the future and create an image in our mind about something which hasn’t even occurred yet. It may also occur when we have plenty of tasks to complete within limited time. In all these scenarios our body releases certain hormones which cause the body to take some immediate action and usually the actions taken in these circumstances do not bring fruitful results.
We already know prevention is better than cure as it is better to stop something in the first place than to repair the damage after it has happened. We also know that many diseases occur in human body only because we do not pay attention towards our health at the time when it is important. When you ask your doctor about it, he/she often tells us that ‘stress’ is the root cause or an important reason for any disease in our body.
Here are some tips and simple tricks which can free you from stress in your life:
- Discipline – Well planned and disciplined life can completely prevent stress from emerging at the initial stages.
- Prioritization – Most of us try to complete multiple tasks at the same time which creates confusion and slows down the functioning of our brain and we do not get results as per our expectations. To overcome this, we can easily identify important tasks out of our pending jobs and write them in a notepad. We can finish our work faster and without taking stress.
- Yoga/Exercise – Yoga is one of the powerful tools to reduce stress, lower blood pressure and lower your heart rate. It is better to practice it early in the morning however it can be practiced at other time of the day as per convenience. But it should be practiced regularly. Light exercises, jogging and brisk walking are some add on tools to beat stress. Staying physically active and mentally calm is the need of the hour and even our Prime Minister is a firm believer of this formula.
- Meditation – As performing yoga brings control over your bodies, meditation brings control and calmness to your mind. The art of controlling your mind will bring infinite peace within you.
- Healthy diet – Students these days have back-to-back tuition classes and they sometimes skip meals or take fast foods from outside. Parents need to guide their children by giving them alternative of fast foods. Students also need to be self-motivated for following a healthy diet and eat all meals on time which will ultimately boost immunity levels and will make body and brain ready to fight any kind of upcoming stress.
Certain things to follow while overcoming stress:
- Do not compare yourself with other students or your friends.
- Read newspaper every day, preferably in the morning.
- Avoid keeping television/ laptop/ mobile in your bedroom.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol.
- Take a sleep of 7 hours every day.
- Last but not the least, avoid spending too much time on social networking websites and digital media.
Remember, life is moving really fast and we are flowing with it. Everyone needs to take a break and check within, whether you are flowing in the right direction. We are all blessed with technology and with help of it we can complete our tasks in minutes which used to take hours and days earlier, but still 24 hours seem slightly less. To be successful in life you do not have to score 100% or be No.1 in studies. If you simply give 100% of your own capabilities, there is plenty of room for success for each one of us. Hope you identify and find a way which is right for you.
Enjoy your student life! It is of the best part of an individual life.